Clear Gains, Wisconsin’s smoke-free multi-unit housing initiative, promotes voluntary smoke-free policies in multi-unit housing across the state. Smoke-free housing is about saving property managers money and hassle, and providing residents with a healthier place to live.
Six Guiding Principles
- Focus on decision makers Outreach and education is directed at decision makers such as property owners and managers to create the highest impact of residents affected.
- Business impact is leading message Smoke-free policies are profitable, popular, legal, and healthy. The health impacts of eliminating secondhand smoke are an important supporting message.
- Prohibit smoking, NOT smokers It needs to be very clear that smokers are still allowed to live in complexes with these policies.
- Voluntary, not regulatory policies Voluntary policies allow us to build a relationship with housing authorities and property managers in a positive fashion.
- Avoid tenant/property owner disputes Provide knowledge and resources and work to avoid disputes between parties.
- Public and private housing Ensure that both public and private housing are covered in outreach.
Steps for Achieving Smoke-Free MUH Policies
This information helps coordinators prepare for work in smoke-free multi-unit housing (SFMUH). Where to begin depends on your local context. Contact your contract administrator or state SFMUH lead Jaime Zach for help.
Preparing for Outreach
- What You Need to Know About Smoke-Free Multi-Unit Housing
- Housing Industry Talk the Talk - Understand the terms used in the housing industry
- MUH Assessment - Create a strategy for your location
The presentation template and logo can be used in your material and presentations.
A lot of this work is meeting and presenting the benefits of smoke-free housing to property managers and owners. These resources can be used to prepare for and use in meetings and presentations.
Private and Public Owners/Managers
These materials are also housed on Clear Gains (www.wismokefreehousing.com).
- Clear Gains in Smoke-Free Housing Leave Behind
- Clear Gains Secondhand Smoke Health Risks
- Clear Gains Smoke-Free Policies are Legal Q&A
Property highlights are to be used to spotlight properties that have already gone smoke-free and be used as a resource example for managers/owners that are thinking about going smoke-free. If you would like to add a property you have been working with to the spotlight list, fill out the draft below.
HUD Ruling (Public Housing Only)
Resident Engagement Sessions
- Resources coming soon!
Tools for CessationCheck out the Cessation Toolkit for local resources and information.
Additional Cessation Resources for Residents
Policy Implementation Resources
- Going Smoke-Free Step-by-Step Tools Packet
- Going Smoke-Free Enforcement Tips
- Model Smoke-Free Lease Addendum
- Translated smoke-free lease addendums are available through Minnesota's Live Smoke-Free Initiative for Spanish, Hmong, Vietnamese, Somali, and Oromo
HUD Ruling Implementation Resources (Public Housing)
- Smoke-Free Policy Checklist
- Recommended 18 Month Timeline
- Implementing Smoke-Free Public Housing
- Reasonable Accommodations
- Policy Enhancement
- Maintaining the Policy
Questions?Refer to the frequently asked questions of coordinators or contact your contract administrator or state SFMUH lead: